Monday, July 27, 2009

I miss....

I have recently moved and have been doing LOTS of unpacking. Today I have been unpacking books and pictures. I found myself in tears as I remembered some great things and caught myself missing "the way things used to be". I miss the care-free days of college (even though they seemed so stressful at the time). I miss my 4 roomies from Goshen and the crew I spent every weekend with up there. I miss the days before everyone was married and had kids (even though I adore their spouses and children). I miss the days when we would hop in a car and go....wherever....no matter what time.

I also just got home from an awesome week at Camp Adventure (church camp). I miss the kids that I hung out with. I miss friends that I only get to see at camp. I miss singing praises twice a day. I miss built in nap time. I miss daily time set aside for Jesus. I miss late nights pouring our hearts out with each other about God and His work.

I caught up on blogs today. I miss my friend Jenn. WOW, do I ever miss her. She is doing missions work and growing so much. I miss her lots though. I knew I would miss my friend and roomie, I just didn't know how much I would miss her. I miss our nights of cravings. I miss seeing her in the morning before work. I miss her laugh and hugs. I miss the smell of her cooking crazy things in the kitchen.

I have had a reminder on my phone for the last 40 days to pray for my best friend. She has been on a 40 day/night hiking trip with her husband and others. So, I miss talking to her. I miss laughing with her. I miss hearing her voice. I miss the surprise email from her. I miss our accountability.

I miss my girls Bible study that I lead for 5.5 years. Those were some of the greatest times of ministry thus far. I miss our intense discussions. I miss our sleepovers. I miss laughing with those girls. I miss hearing from them often. I miss digging into God's word with teenagers.

I hope that this isn't depressing or sad. It is just a day of reflection for me. I have had a super busy summer and haven't had much time to just stop! I have 3 weeks until school starts - which is good, because I miss school and teaching.

I guess my purpose in writing this is to remind myself of all the blessings God has so graciously poured over me through the years. I look back through pictures or re-read journals or catch up on blogs and am reminded of how truly blessed I am. I am blessed to have memories worth remembering. I am blessed to have amazing friends. I am blessed to have gone to college and live in a house.

Thank you Jesus for the blessings you pour out on my day after day. You are a wonderful father and I am humbled to be in your presence.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Amen.
I miss you!

Kristi said...

I love reflecting back on the past, like you did. It does remind me of my blessings then, and my blessings today, even if they are entirely different!
God is good no matter what.