Friday, June 08, 2012

Why I Teach

I had a moment this morning.  I was dropping off my car insurance payment to State Farm.  I was pleasantly greeted, as always, and the following conversation took place:

 Me: Hi Heather!
Heather: Hi Dina. Are you enjoying your summer break?
Me:  100%!
Heather: That's the best part of teaching, right?
Me: hahaha

Then I left.  And I had a pit in my stomach.  Why?  It's  not the best part of teaching!  I didn't share that though...

Many people think that summer break is the "best part of teaching" but that is SO NOT TRUE for me.  Summer break is nice...I get to reflect on my previous school year, begin preparing for the next year, and enjoy the summer.  But it is not the best part of teaching.  I usually spend the first few weeks worrying about my students that I know don't look forward to a break from school.  For too many kids, summer is not enjoyable because they have tough lives, they aren't cared for, and they don't get to see their friends.  School is the fun place.  It is safe, secure, there is someone who is ALWAYS glad to see them, it is consistent.  After I learn to let go of my students the anticipation of the next group hits me.  What will they be like?  Who will impact me the most?  What great memories will we have in Room 410?  Will I do a better job this year? 

Nope, I don't teach for the summer break.  

I teach because that is what God has called me to do.  He has placed a burning passion for kids in my heart.  I teach because learning is important.  I teach because I can make a difference.  I teach because I love it!

So if you ever assume that summer is the best part of teaching, ask a teacher.  I bet they will tell you differently.  I know this one will.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Umm, I Loved this and it made me want to cry. I can only pray my childrens teachers have a heart and passion like you :)

Love you.

Jess said...

This is such a "Wow" post! Praise God for calling YOU to teach!!

Dina said...

Thanks Shan and Jess :)

Angie | Don't Worry. Be Happy. Keep Learning. said...

I love your passion and heart for kids. It is inspiring, my friend.

Summer break might be a "perk" to teaching but not the best part. I get it :)

Thanks for sharing.

Erin said...

I really liked this post....and I am glad you're a teacher! Wanna come teach my boys? :)

Dina said...

Erin, I would love to teach your boys...plus 20 others ;) Love you!